3.29.2011

I'll definitely be staying tuned to see how this works out. I love the idea of a car-less city. EU to ban cars from cities by 2050: "Cars will be banned from London and all other cities across Europe under a draconian EU masterplan to cut CO2 emissions by 60 per cent over the next 40 years."

Image: LOVE this.

Training: today a great, hard hour-long spinning class, then 15 min of laps in the pool.


Last night I was reading one of the many "health" magazines I get (Self, Fitness, Healthy, Shape - what can I say, they motivate me, plus I love getting mail) and I was thinking about how all the tips and articles are so complicated and sometimes extreme - eat this specific meal, this specific calorie count, do these exercises, take these supplements etc - and yet when I tell people that I cut out sugar for a few months, or caffeine, etc people act like it's so wild. It's just funny what we think of as being "normal" at this point. So many people are more willing to deprive themselves of calories, or do painful things, rather than, even temporarily, give up something like refined flour or sugar in favor of whole foods. I 100% get it - I have a lifetime of unhealthy dieting in my past (and hopefully it will stay there). But nothing has made me feel as good or as healthy or as beautiful as really listening to what my body wants and what makes it feel good. It may not be cool to be alcohol and caffeine free (it certainly seems to borderline horrify most people), but those two changes have helped my health (mental and physical) more than almost anything else that I've tried in the last 3 decades. So continues the path of figuring out what health means, and feels like, to me.

"Look up; there’s a rock gushing with refreshment for you somewhere in your life. Your past only sounds good because you can’t see the future. There is a rock gushing somewhere in your life. That’s just the truth. Look for it." [Valerie Bridgeman Davis, Africana Worship book]

No comments: